PART I: LEARN HOW TO BE AN ALLY AND ANTI-RACIST
PRESENTED BY COMCAST NBCUNIVERSAL AND UTAH DIVISION OF MULTICULTURAL AFFAIRS
On September 3, over 850 people joined our first– ever Social Justice Series (#SJSSBeyondTheHashtag) virtual event where we learned the difference between being a friend and an ally; the difference between being nonracist and antiracist; and how intersectionality is different from sharing intersections.
Austin Channing Brown, New York Time’s Best-Selling Author of “I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness” kicked off the event by exploring these topics and provided ways to create real change in the workplace and everyday life.
Following Austin’s keynote, community leaders took a deeper dive into allyship and their experiences and antiracism work during a panel discussion led by Nelson Duckett, Area Vice President, Comcast Utah. Here are the key takeaways.
- Igor Limansky, Community Member & Diversity and Inclusion Advocate
- Maria Martinez, Community Member & Diversity and Inclusion Advocate
- Liz Owens, CEO, YWCA of Utah
- Davina Smith, CEO, Hayseya Native Initiatives, LLC
- Tamara Stevenson, VP of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion & Professor of Communications, Westminster College
- Identify structural racism, power and privilege and how you benefit from it
- Be a bridge builder
- Act in a way that supports a multiracial Utah
- Engage in the work as a human, not to further your own image
- Work is invisible and starts with changing policies and teaching best practices
- Advocate for those who are marginalized — listen to the impacted and ask what needs to be done
Allyship in the workplace
- Believe in people of color
- Identify norms and predominant monocultures
- Build awareness by calling for an equity pause
- Ask for information and look at the data
- Identify discrepancies in departments and leadership
- Survey and listen to people of color
- Acknowledge truths and commit to change
Learn → Listen → Act → Reflect
If you missed the event and want to learn more, you may access the videos below:
CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO WATCH THE PANEL DISCUSSION:
CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO WATCH THE KEYNOTE:
Share your thoughts online by using #SJSSBeyondTheHashtag.